Multi-Agent Systems (MAS) have been recognised as a promising solution to address complex problems in many areas such as biology and social sciences and may provide powerful and flexible solutions for implementing trading engines. However such systems are extremely hungry in terms of computational resources. FPGAs have overcome the problem of computational resource allocation offering great parallelism and performance improvement. Our project aims to investigate novel multi-agent architectures in reconfigurable hardware for financial applications and the implementation of an automated trading engine as a validation scenario. Read more...
Eduardo Gerlein received the BEng in Electronics from Pontificia Universidad Javeriana (Bogota- Colombia) in 2002 and in 2008 the M.Sc. in Electronics Engineering from the same university.
From january 2003 to June 2005 he worked as a Research Assistant in the Department of Electronics Engineering at the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, with the Intelligent Systems, Robotics and Perception group. Afterwards, he was appointed Lecturer at the Electronics Department at Pontificia Universidad Javeriana. During the summer of 2009, he was awarded with the Summer Research Internship in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Delaware (Newark - USA), working under supervision of professor Sylvain Cloutier in the development of the course Semiconductor Devices.
Since January 2012, he started attending The University of Ulster to pursue a PhD in Computer Science degree, based at the the Intelligent Systems Research Centre, where he is part of the Capital Markets Engineering Group. His research, under the supervision of Professor Martin McGinnity, Dr. Ammar Belatreche and Dr. Sonya Coleman, is focused on the development of hardware architectures for multi-agent systems in FPGA for financial applications.
Research Interests: Multi-Agent Systems, Embedded Systems, Robotics and Digital Systems Design.
- E. Gerlein and E. González, “BSA-CM: A Multi-robot Coverage Algorithm” in 2009 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Joint Conference on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology, 2009, pp. 383–386.
- P. A. Beltrán, N. R. Cabrera, J. D. Romero, and E. Gerlein, “SPITH (Set Partitioning In Hierarchical Trees) Embedded Encoder for Images” in XIV National Symposium in Signals, Images and Artificial Vision STSIVA-2009
- E. Gerlein and A. Lopez, "Active Ankle Prosthesis implemented with a Parallel Robot", 1st EMB/IEEE International Symposium on Innovation and Technological Development for Future Health. Bioinnova 2009, 23-11-2009.
- E. Gerlein, P. Panteghini, and M. A. Ortiz, “Movement Control for a Biomorphic Agent” in IEEE Colombian Workshop on Robotics and Automation, 2007. CWRA2007, 2007.
- E. Gerlein and E. González, “Multirobot Cooperative Model Applied to Coverage of Unknown Regions” in in Multi-Robot Systems, Trends and Development, 1st ed., Toshiyuki Yasuda, Ed. InTech, Publishing, 2011, pp. 109–130.